Saturday, November 16, 2013

Caldo verde (Portuguese kale soup)



I ate this soup the first time I came to Lisbon, and had a slightly unpleasant surprise! I'd almost reached the end of my delicious green soup, when I discovered a large slice of chouriço sitting quietly in the bottom of the bowl! I was told that this was completely normal, to add flavour to the dish, so sadly I never ate caldo verde again... Until today.

I'm sure a soup just as good could be made without any chouriço, but I wanted to make it as close to the real thing as possible. I used a very strongly flavoured soya chouriço and I think it turned out great!


Ingredients:

(Serves 6)

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 vegan chouriço (I like the ones made from soya the best), cut into approximately 1cm thick slices
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, sliced finely
3 medium potatoes, cut into smallish cubes
1tsp salt
3 cups water
350g kale, cut into very thin grass-like strips


Method:

Fry the chouriço slices in the olive oil until browned on both sides, then remove to a plate and put to the side.

Fry the onion in the same pan until soft, then add the garlic and salt and fry about a minute more.

Add the potato and water and cook until the potato is very soft and beginning to fall apart (about 20 to 30 minutes).

Remove from the heat and puree, (check if there's enough salt at this point) then add the kale and cook for about 5 minute more.

Serve with a slice (or two) of the pre-cooked chouriço in each bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment